Wednesday 23 September 2009

Cartoon-inspired fashion

I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Scott's cartoony designs but I am a huge fan of the little lady shown above so I was thrilled to see Pixie Geldof modelling this in his London Fashion Week collection:

Pebbles Flintstone! best cartoon fashion inspiration ever! [Confession: when my cousin's daughter was about 18 months old, I always used to do her hair like that. She hated it.]

I'm a fan of Betty Rubble's style too.

Short dresses that are nipped in at the waist, with uneven hems and necklace ties, a love of halter necks, hair accessories and (probably) animal print; that's all very me. For the record, animal print lovers, Carine Roitfeld, the none-more stylish Editor of Vogue Paris, suggests snake over leopard, particularly as a woman gets older. It's not my job to argue.

This Betty-ish dress is by Jonathan Saunders, it's available from net-a-porter, who originally took its picture.http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/49690

Wilma Flintstone's asymmetric dress is also a very good thing. The one below is by Preen and can be purchased from net-a-porter.com, where I also took the picture from.




I also keep seeing huge beads like Wilma's everywhere. Like, on every bridesmaid, and below on Audrina Partridge from The Hills, and I'm not entirely sure how good a thing it is.

It's too much if the necklace is beaded all the way round, rather than having a gap between the beads with a short length of chain or ribbon that sits at the back of the neck. For example, the ones above sit oddly and shorten the wearer's neck. Unless you're truly swan-necked, it's far more flattering to go for a necklace that has a few inches of chain or ribbon behind the neck so they hang a little lower.


FYI- I found the pic of Betty and Wilma above on monstersandcritics.com. It's title is Betty and Wilma and the Future Rock Stars. How awesome would a band fronted by Pebbles, with Bam Bam on drums be? too awesome.

Jem and The Holograms

My favourite show as a child. Read into that what you will.

Jem and The Holograms were a rainbow-haired cartoon girlband from the 80's. Jem was actually a record label owner called Jerrica who turned into her rock alter-ego with the help of her computer, Synergy and some star-shaped earrings. The rainbow shades they wore are reminiscent of the recent colour blocking trend, particularly if worn with matching brightly-dyed hair.They also had a nemesis girlband called The Misfits who were lame, a bit hair metal if I recall.

Someone called 5fathoms posted this on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEqmC1q9Sow I can't download it for some reason. He's made The Holograms cover Deceptacon by Le Tigre. Perfection.

She-ra, Princess of Power

As we know, I am a fan of head dresses and red lipstick. I'm also a fan of cloaks, corsets, huge blonde hair and cute dresses so, as far as She-ra goes, what's not for me to like? She's a role model seemingly favoured by designers like The Blondes all the time. They put Katy Perry in this: Minnie Mouse Included as an afterthought when I remembered this photo, which was taken in the Betsey Johnson shop in July. We actually asked for Minnie Mouse years but, alas, they didn't have any. Betsey rules! and her very nice staff do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment