Wednesday 9 September 2009

Profile: Emily, parts 1 and 2, Travelling Homegirl


I love a girl who drinks, thinks and travels.

Emily is my newest friend. We met in New York this Summer, promptly decamped to The Beauty Bar, and bonded over beer, doomed romance, our mutual love of travel and how all the best girls are fag hags.

Parts 1 and 2 of her interview are about her life in the artsy, southern cities of New Albany and Louisville, and her time spent travelling the world.

Part 1: Travelling

Tell us about where you grew up.

I grew up in a little town called Jeffersonville, Indiana. This is located in the very south if Indiana and is a river town. From my childhood house, I could look across the Ohio River into Louisville, Kentucky, home of the infamous Kentucky Derby. At age 14, my family moved about an hour west to a small town of less than 2000. There they purchased 50 acres, which of course included no neighbors. This certainly formed me as a young teenager. It fed my angst, but in the end instilled my love for nature.

Ladies' Day at the Kentucky Derby

You’ve travelled extensively, and lived in places quite different from Jeffersonville. How influential has travel been on you?

Wow, I could certainly never begin to calculate the influences that travel has had on me. Through my many experiences, I feel that I have become culturally aware and tolerant. I am able to identify with others better and also relate my travel skills (communication/ adaptability) to predicaments that arise in both my personal and professional life. It has ignited many interests and also is a constant reminder of the beautiful world that I am so fortunate to live in.

Can you describe some of your foreign adventures?

I have been [to] many places in the US, which is often like visiting a foreign country as many of the customs vary so significantly from region to region. As far as foreign adventures, Mayan Ruins in Mexico, camping in the rain forest in Costa Rica, wax museums in Canada, teaching 14 year olds in New Zealand, with Maori speaking lessons on the side, close up kangaroos in the Blue Mountains in Australia, tenting through the Serengeti in Kenya and Tanzania, dipping in the North sea off the coast of Malmo, Sweden, the sex museum in Copenhagen, Denmark, hiking in Genoa, Italy, working on an organic farm and nannying in St. Andrew’s, Scotland, Christmas in Paris, a London run through, a night on a house boat in Amsterdam, and a haggling venture in the Dominican Republic.

Any horror stories?

I have encountered several touchy situations, including an ex-convict who taught me how to kill a man with my bare hands should I ever need to.

Ok, I have encountered several touchy situations, including car repair out of an ex-convicts garage, where he taught me how to kill a man with my bare hands if I ever needed to. However, the most fearful moment in my life happened in a small Appalachian town that bordered Kentucky and West Virginia. If you have ever seen the movie Deliverance, you can clearly see the town. I was driving back with a girlfriend from a woman’s rights march in Washington DC. It was quite late and the highway was fairly empty. Suddenly a light flashed on the dash and the car lost steering power. Luckily, we were close to an exit, we put the car in neutral and drifted into a gas station which simultaneously signified the next alcoholic awareness meeting and gave the sale on Budweiser.

Anyhow, I walked in looking for someone to help me find a garage, or tow truck. The toothless girl behind the counter said she knew just the guy, Cathair. Apparently he was the town mechanic and had his own tow truck. We were waiting in the parking lot when he arrived. His large frame was covered in white hair, which he explained he dyed to make it look more like cat hair. Despite our utter fear, we had no choice but to get in the truck with this man. He drove us through windy back roads telling stories that made me fear for my life, before suddenly pulling off the road into a garage of sorts.

He closed the big door and in the garage there were three other men in their early twenties, holding crowbars and looking as if they were working on cars. At any rate, I chatted carelessly while shooting pictures in case someone found me dead; they would know the culprit. Cathair then pulls out a bag of marijuana and begins to roll a joint. At this point my stomach feels like it might actually come out of my body. After some time and convincing, he agrees to take us to the local motel. It looked like the hotel in Psycho. He calls the gentleman who owns the place, and he comes from his house on the hill overlooking the property. (This should let you know that we are the only people staying at the motel).

The owner had slicked back hair and gold rings on every finger. We agreed upon a price and were put up in a room. I remember locking the door in the hope that I was finally safe. Then it occurred to me that, of course, they have the keys. I also noticed that this was the only hotel room I have ever been in that is without a phone. While nothing actually happened I could sincerely feel the edge of death at every turn. Needless to say, it was one of the worst slept evenings of my life. These botchy details could not begin to describe the utter horror of that night.

What advice would you give to people who are about to embark on their gap years, or round the world trips?

Don’t make too strict an agenda, it only disappoints, and get to know the locals as much as possible.

Part 2: Homegirl

You live in New Albany, in the glorious state of Indiana, again now. Make some recommendations for visitors.

New Albany is pretty small. We have some amazing microbreweries though, and I am about 10 minutes from Louisville, Kentucky. There are some delightful stores where things are handmade. It’s on the river, so the regular water activities apply. We have several stops on the Underground Railroad, which was an escape line for southern slaves to the north during the civil war. We also have several waterfront mansions that are supposedly haunted that you can tour. In the fall we boast Harvest Homecoming, which is the trash-fest of the Century, complete with airbrush shirts, endless rides, and more fried food than one could ever dream.

Tell us about Louisville, I know you love it there. Can you make any similar recommendations for first-time visitors?

I would say most people from Louisville fall irreversibly in love with it.



Thunder Over Louisville

It is fairly small, about 1 million people, but has all the offerings of a mid-sized city. The people are nothing but friendly and I never feel uncomfortable going into someplace new. The highlight of the year is, of course, the Kentucky Derby and its surrounding festivals. Thunder over Louisville is the biggest firework display in the country and it always kicks off the month long celebration. The music and art scene are budding but abundant. There are many local bands and venues to see both local art and music. We have lots of locally owned grocery shops and stores. There are plenty of free things to take advantage of as well. It’s easy to travel in and out of and there are green spaces all over the place.

As far as first time visitors, you have to see the [baseball] bat factory. This is where all Louisville Sluggers [a famous brand of baseball bat- Ed] are made. This will of course motivate you to venture to the baseball park and take in a game. The racetrack is a no-brainer. The museum is fascinating and a day of betting is genius! Fourth Street Live is a series of bars and restaurants that tend to cater to a bit more uppity [read: snobby- Ed] crowd, but is great for people watching. Then head to Bardstown Road for local shops and live musicians. Cumberland Brewery is a definite stop to quench your thirst in the unrelenting humidity.

For those interested in Bourbon-and, really, aren’t we all?- head to the Makers Mark distillery in Bardstown, Kentucky. This is nearby and will assuredly take the whole afternoon. To top it off, take a sail on the Belle of Louisville, which is an old fashioned steam boat which sails up and down the river. There are a plethora of other exciting venues to indulge in so my strong recommendation is to pick up one of the two free local newsletters, found in most shops, “The LEO” and “Velocity.” Either will tell you every venue in town, what’s happening each day of the week, and how much it costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment