Monday 21 September 2009

Profile: Jane, Trainee Lawyer, NY/Lon

Jane is training to be a lawyer. Educated in the UK, her training has allowed her to live in London, Hong Kong and New York, with more good things expected to come. Here she (very modestly) answers some questions about her career so far, and recommends a few places to go out in each city.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’m 26, working in law. Am generally quite shy, but have a good group or friends who are like my family.




My family are very important to me too.

You grew up in Leamington Spa, a mid-sized town in the Midlands. How did it shape you?

It shaped me in that I really wanted to live in the city for a while. I have always grown up outside of the city, hence why I was so excited to go to London. Now I have the best of both worlds, the city life and can always go home for weekend to see greenery!

Since leaving school you’ve lived in London, Hong Kong and now New York. Do you feel like a city girl now? What would you say are the benefits of city life?

I definitely feel like a city girl; I absolutely love it. The benefits are that there is something for everyone there. In NY I have managed to find like-minded people who understand my interests/culture etc.

Recommend some places to visit when people are in New York, Hong and London.

New York : Clubs - Webster Hall, pictured right, random places in village http://websterhall.com/ .

Bars - Faces and Names in Times Square http://www.facesandnames.com/


Tourist spots – I love the Empire State building and the Chrysler, pictured above on the left.

Oh, and [Central] park, obviously.

For shopping, I prefer the outskirts of New York; the Pallisades, Jersey City etc.

Hong Kong: Clubs/Bars - random places in Lan Kwai Fong.

Restuarants – there’s a place in IFC, best Shanghai pork dumplings ever!
Tourist spots - Big Buddha, light show at TST.

Shopping - all the malls!

London: Clubs/bars – I’m old now so don’t go out much, but generally stick to The Big Note, 207 Upper Street, a lovely club just because it reminds me of good times.

Bar Bollywood , 34 Dover Street

Restos - Isis, 49- 50 Dover Street.

Blossom, Unit 1b City Point, http://www.blossomrestaurant.co.uk/index.html

Anywhere they should avoid?
Well, everyone told me to avoid the Bronx, but there are some nice areas. I don’t advise on any bad areas [but] obviously use your common sense!

Has world travel, and especially working abroad had an effect on you as a person? How?

Yes definitely, I have become more independent, especially in New York as [before moving here] I had never lived alone. I’m still not perfect, but much more independent than in London.

Do you have ambitions to live and work elsewhere in the world? Where?

I would love to try working in Japan, and perhaps India for a while.

Persevere. I’m not the most studious person but I have managed to secure [a] training contract so if I can do it, I’m pretty sure anyone can.

Does travel for its own sake inform your ambitions? Where would you like to visit and why?

I am liking travel [but] hit the travel bug late. I would like to go to Australia/NZ as well as Africa. Aiming to do so before starting [a] Training Contract.

The type of law you practice is quite specific. Can you tell us a bit about it?


I’m not practicing yet. At present, I would like to do either Commercial or Clinical Negligence; each has its own appeal.

How did you come to follow the career path you’re on?


I kinda fell into it. I thought I would try the law conversion [after graduating with a science degree] and then decided I liked it, so stuck with it. There has been an element of luck too though.

If all goes to plan, where do you want to be in ten years time? What will you be doing?

Personally, I would like to get married and settle etc. From a work level, would love to become Partner in a firm, but we shall see.

Knowing what you do now, what advice would you give to someone else who is considering a similar career?

Persevere. I’m not the most studious person but I have managed to secure [a] training contract so if I can do it, I’m pretty sure anyone can. Above: Lan Kwoi Fong, Hong Kong

How does your profession affect what your choice of clothing?

We have guidance unfortunately, and need to wear collars, smart clothes, etc., so generally [I wear] suits.

Outside of work, what do you like to do? Where will we find you?

I’m up for trying everything. I have become a lot more social here; just hanging out with friends. My mentality [towards] drink has changed. Don’t get me wrong; I like going out till late and feeling the freedom of drink, but also just going for walks along the river with a cup of coffee is just as fun for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment