Monday 24 August 2009

I saw far too much nice footwear in Topshop today.

For Autumn, but really for right now, especially now that I’ve tried a pair on, I want some black leather over the knee boots. I’ve wanted a pair for years, and the fixation was reignited when Blake Lively rocked a pale grey suede pair from Chinese Laundry on the first series of Gossip Girl (pictured above courtesy of fabsugar.com).

It’s gotten bad; I've found a pair that I like in an affordable shop; I have a crush; I fantasise about them when I should be researching potential employers; I imagine how well they’d go with outfits I already own- surely the clothing equivalent of imagining showing off a new date to all your friends- and, when I should have been writing internship application letters, I went to the shop to visit them.

The ones above, the objects of my affection, are called DUFFY. They are from Topshop, not too slutty, cost a fairly reasonable £85, and are wide enough on the leg to accommodate even my chunky limbs.

I am a bit concerned that the tan suede ones might make the girl who wears them look like Robin Hood though...


After visiting the boots I saw a pair of patent black brogues with a pale sole which, bafflingly, I can’t find on the Topshop website (if they have them in my neck of the provinces, they should surely have them online) but I think they are this pair, Kameryn (£55).

I want them in the shiny black, rather than the brown, which are far too much like my old school shoes (not a look I want to repeat), or the or gold, which I hate, or the two-tone, which though fab might not get worn enough.

Like the crush boots, these could well become a Winter wardrobe staple, especially as I’m heading back to school, well post-graduate education, in October. I want to wear them with short A-line skirts and dresses and dark tights, to emphasise the geeky school-girlyness of them. I’ll avoid wearing them with just ankle socks, particularly bright coloured ones, ‘cos I’m too old for that now, or with jeans, ‘cos the bootleg and flared jean shapes that suit me won’t suit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment